Thursday, December 9, 2010

Going Grinch

So I'm making another post. I have a good one about the boy roommate but I'm going with this one because we were talking about blogs tonight at a holiday party.

I have determined that nice doesn't really get you that far in life. I am the nice one. I've been the nice girl my whole life. In seventh grade, all of the boys loved me but just as the nice girl. One boy, who I should probably punch in the face the next time I see him - if I ever do, told me on more than one occasion that I was ugly but that I was nice and therefore a favorite. In high school and college, the boys told me that I was so nice and sweet that they wanted to marry me but not date me. So there's the boy situation and then there were the girls. In Bible study the girls would want to sit next to me because I was the nice one who would actually write the little, jazzed up "I'm praying for you, here's a legit verse" note and give it to them in the courtyard between classes. The ones who weren't laying all of their life burdens at the foot of the cross openly were laying them at the foot of the cross via ME's telephone calls at all hours of the night and day. They got comfort and love and I got nightmares during what little sleep I got - that is a negative equation, right?

So, here's where nice has gotten me after college. I have six extra keys to houses that I do not habitate (I think I just made a word up) but thankfully some of them are colorful so we'll just call my keys a permanent accessory. I am a first year teacher so after years of sending sursies for no reason, remembering birthdays and investing (not buying) into every Hallmark created holiday on the calendar I am now eating the guilt for being a forgetful and unattentive friend. And then came the holidays... four tacky Christmas sweater parties in two weeks is excessive even for the people who start listening to Christmas music before Thanksgiving (a mortal American sin in my book). So now I am popping in and out of houses, homes, and habitats all over Charleston County in the jankiest, jolly sweater my two first grade friends and I could find. I spent $20.00 on it but I have to wear it four times, that's getting your money's worth right?

So I think I'm going grinch, I'm not spreading my nice so thin anymore. Watch out world, ME's going from tossing out nice nuggets to stashing them like a squirrel for cold, rainy days so if you see me with chipmunk cheeks don't make me laugh you might end up covered in NICE!

No comments:

Post a Comment