Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Safari for supper

Denver is delectible. I was here for 24 hours and ate some of the best food (clarify: meat) I've ever had in one sitting. I ate at the Buckhorn Exchange. It is the oldest restaurant in Colorado, established in 1893. It holds the first liquor license ever authorized in the state. There is so much history within those walls, Teddy Roosevelt left his official American flag that he flew while travelling by train across the nation, JFK's fishing license is on the wall as well as a portrait museum of other political figures, national and international dignitaries, and celebrities that chronicles history. In addition to this it should also be considered a museum of taxodermy. When I can figure out how, I will put up pictures. Every inch of space not covered by a photo or other piece of memorabilia is covered with dead animals. The second largest elk in the world, jackalopes, a unicorn all sorts of scientific, super-natural specimens. The restaurant is so revered in the world of taxodermy that the Guiness Book of World Records sent it a whale's penis that was longer than me. It didn't look like much and I wouldn't have recognized it as such without the waitress identifying it but once I had that in my head...

I ate like a travel channel food taster! I love game fowl and poultry and have eaten quite a bit of it but this was truly a safari! The first stop on the safari was Tibet. Tibetan yak with garlic butter. Now, I don't think the yak was actually flown in from Tibet though I wish it was that would make the experience much more exotic but nonetheless it was so tasty I didn't want to waste time yakking with the waitress- I wanted to eat. It was very tender and did not have a very gamey flavor. This is also significant in my world because my dear friend Jen has a nickname related to this animal. Over the years we have researched yak noises, made yak jokes, and inserted the word yak into any appropriate or inappropriate word or phrase possible - example: "yak meat," a boy that Jen would like. So as I am eating I am laughing out loud at the table in the corner of the restaurant - by myself - but in my mind thinking Jen totally understands the comedic nature of this event. Inserting people into situations is a common occurrance in my life these days, it is much like playing with my childhood imaginary friend was - it gets you by but it doesn't beat having them there with you!

Stop two was somewhere, Africa or Australia maybe, I don't know where ostriches really come from though I do know that there are ostrich farms in the US - are they native to the US though? I didn't care for the ostrich. Though it was cooked medium rare it was very tough - could this be from sticking its head into the sand all of the time and not really knowing what's going on with the rest of its exposed body? That is my only hypothesis...

Stop three could really be anywhere in the US but this was quite possibly my favorite! Quail in a prickly pear and apricot glaze. Most of you know that I think my momma, aunts, and other close friends/relatives are by far some of the best cooks in the world. There is absolutely no comparison in my mind to a homecooked meal from South Carolina, this quail took me home. It was absolutely one of the best things I have ever put in my mouth! The sauce was a perfect compliment though I had to push the thought of "prickly" pear out of my mind while eating. Why does our mind do that to us? There was nothing prickly about the sauce, not in the taste or the texture though I kept thinking I was going to take a bite and get a splinter in my mouth. Truthfully, I do know why our mind does that to us but I will refrain from an educational pshyology babble session for the moment so we can move onto the wild, wild west!

Stop four in my head: The wagon trail, a teepee, a musket, a bow and arrow, and I think an endangered species these days. Buffalo, by far the best taste of red meat I have ever consumed. It was flavorful and tender and truly memorable because of its epicurean qualities (whereas the yak was good but I will likely only remember it because it was a yak and who eats yak really?). You could taste the plains. I know I sound like I'm exaggerating but if you truly want a food experience that is transcendental in nature, eat buffalo at Buckhorn Exchange you will immediately go back to your elementary school Oregon Trail days!

It is back to the Miss now! I will write more this week about my trip to CO, I just had to tell you about my safari while it was fresh! Love you mean it!

1 comment:

  1. I love this MG! It makes me miss you even more, but feel like you're close by all at the same time! Finish up school and please come home to the south where today, even though it is 31 degrees outside, the sun is still shining brighter! love you! miss you! love the blog! so proud of you! lots of love, A

    ReplyDelete